Church History

Our ministry began in 1954 with a small group of people who “wanted a family church in the vicinity.” They realized the need to teach children about the love of Jesus, and started a Sunday School for about 25 adults and kids. The group met for prayer, study, and fellowship in the Olson’s living room. As the group grew, it rented two different homes in East Northport for meeting space. In 1957 they formed as an Evangelical Covenant Church, called their first pastor (Rev. Sandbek), and built the church where we still worship today (203 Cedar Road).
When it first opened the church was called “The Community Covenant Church” – “Where the whole family can worship.” The commitment to families, to children, and youth is still a driving force in our ministry.